Most games of Washers are played in one of three ways. One Hole Washers, Three Hole Washers, or with Washers Pits. Each game has it’s own challenges, and the one you play may depend on materials available, playing space, or just personal preference. Detailed rules and playing information for each style can be found at WasherPlayers.net. For this article, we’re going to give the basic information to get you started playing One Hole Washers.
One Hole Washers Game — “In a Nutshell”
- 2 – One Hole Washers Boxes/Boards.
- 8 – 2.5″ Washers. Divided in to 2 sets of 4.
* Each set should be marked to tell them apart
- Place the washers boxes 21 feet apart.
- Give 4 washers to each player or team. ( 8 washers total )
Game Play: ( doubles )
- Partners shall stand at opposite Washers boxes, each on the same side of the box.
- Each team will have 4 washers of one color. All 8 washers begin at the same end.
- To decide the starting team, each player should toss one washer toward the opposite box. The team closest to the hole, will toss first. This is called the “Diddle”.
- The first team will then begin by throwing all 4 washers at the opposite box.
- The second player will then throw all 4 washers.
- After all 8 washers are tossed, teams count the points scored during the round.
- After scoring, the players on the opposite end will then take their turns in the same manner. The team scoring the most points in the previous round will throw first to start the turn.
- Game is played to 21 points.
- For Singles Play, the players will both walk to the opposite end, throwing the next set from there.
3 points -in the cup
2 points – in the box
1 point – closest to the box & within one width of a washer
- A washer that bounces into the box should be removed before the next player tosses.
- Scoring is done by cancellation. After each round, the difference between both players scores is the score given to the highest scoring player. If both players score the same amount, no one will receive any points.
- Team A scores a 3 point hole and one in the box for 5 total points. Team B lands 2 in the box, for 4 points. Team A would score 1 point for the round.
- Team A lands one in the cup, and one in the box for 5 points. Team B lands one in the cup and one in the box for 5 points. Points cancel out, no points are gained.